Thursday, January 31, 2013

The joys of Elocution!


One of my passions is teaching children how to speak English clearly and properly. I’m working with a student on his forth coming declamation competition in school. This is the poem that he will be reciting.

Mummy Slept Late and Daddy Fixed Breakfast
By John Ciardi

Daddy fixed the breakfast.
He made us each a waffle.
It looked like gravel pudding.
It tasted something awful.
“Ha, ha,” he said, “I’ll try again.
This time I’ll get it right.”
But what I got was in between
Bituminous and anthracite.
“A little too well done? Oh well,
I’ll have to start all over.”
THAT time what landed on my plate
Looked like a manhole cover.
I tried to cut it with a fork:
The fork gave off a spark.
I tried a knife and twisted it
Into a question mark.
I tried it with a hack-saw.
I tried it with a torch.
It didn’t even make a dent.
It didn’t even scorch.
The next time Dad gets breakfast
When Mommy’s sleeping late,
I think I’ll skip the waffles,
I’d sooner eat the plate!

No comments:

Post a Comment